Coloring Easter eggs is no longer a big event in my household, but I know that for those of you with children it is. Here is a way to make BEAUTIFUL Easter eggs that are unique, inexpensive and fairly simple to do. And NO messy dyes…only vinegar and water.
You won’t believe the results.
- Step 1. Gather (buy, steal…) ties, scarves, anything silk…unravel the seams and spread out the silk. (Thrift stores are good hunting ground.)
- Step 2. Cut into squares big enough to cover the egg and wrap (INSIDE OUT) as tight as you can without crushing. Secure with a twist-tie or kitchen twine.
- Step 3. Cut 100% white cotton (sheet, pillow case, cheese cloth) into squares repeat step 2.
- Step 4. Gently place eggs in one layer standing up in a pot, cover with water plus a 1/2 inch, and add 1/4 cup white vinegar. After coming to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Step 5. Gently remove eggs and place on paper towels to cool.
- Step 6. The REVEAL! Unwrap the eggs and pat dry with a paper towel. Rub with vegetable oil to make them shiny and watch the colors come alive.
The budding scientist in me wonders what else I can use besides raw eggs for the process. It must be something that can withstand boiling water without breaking. Is it the porous nature of the egg shell that makes this work so well? Any suggestions? I’m dyeing to try this, lol.
Content was gleaned from Cucina Testa Rossa Culinary (http://cucinatestarossa.blogs.com/weblog/2010/03/the-most-beautiful-easter-eggs-ever-.html), where many wonderful things can be found!
- Easter Egg Collage (education.com)
- Pressed Leaf Easter Eggs (education.com)
- My Little Easter Egger (dreambles.wordpress.com)
- Color Easter Eggs with All-Natural Dyes (education.com)
- Four Ways to Use Leftover Easter Eggs (education.com)
- Recipe: Mini Bird Nest Cupcakes (craftzine.com)
- DIY: Eggshell Crafting Idea for Easter. (thesavingsmomma.com)
- Easter egg bonanza for shoppers as hard times force discounts (mirror.co.uk)
- How-To: Paper Mache Treat-Filled Easter Eggs (craftzine.com)